Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Kaleidoscope Art

In any setting where folks gather around a table to discuss what is art and what art is not I must admit I have my own views of what art is and what art is not.  Yes I have bias's just like anyone else.  I do try to keep my mind open to a wide variety of options and types of art.  I diffidently have likes and dislikes.



I like abstracts, modern, classical, primitive, landscapes, flora, just about anything. From pencil drawing to oil paintings, from photography to metal sculptures.

I do have a hard time liking a painting by an adult that looks as if a three year old child painted it.  I would rather have the child's painting than the adults.  To me if an adult has not progressed beyond that stage; it just leaves to many unanswered questions floating in my head.





Which brings me to my latest creations ... Kaleidoscopes.  It is not as easy as I thought.  One must have a good photo to make a good kaleidoscope.  Believe me when I say 'out of focus only makes it worse'. 
 
I'm finding various items make for very unusual kaleidoscopes.  Single items to a collage of items can add different dimensions.  Just pressing a button does not make it a beautiful kaleidoscope.  In the last two weeks I've had some really ugly things pass in front of my eyes as I play with the Photoshop Kaleidoscope filter controls on one of my photos.




Are Kaleidoscopes art?  To me they are...but one needs to wonder about a group of critics around a square table to what their verdict could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment