Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hard Core Bicycle Riding

Hard core winter bicycle riding. 

Yep in Alaska there are folks who defy common sense and ride their bikes year round.  Summer and Winter.  I live with a man who falls into that crazy category of hard core.  He was one of the first to be a winter rider some 30 years ago.

He rides daily.  Sun, rain, snow, ice, sleet, clouds do not deter him from getting on his two wheel mode of transportation and fighting with elements.  To me he is brave and just this side of crazy.  I love to ride my bike in summer but you will not find me dress in winter gear to fighting snow, wind and sliding cars!  And having studded snow tires on a bicycle is a whole another topic to me!

As luck had it Anchorages first snow fall came on October 31st this year. We awoke to about 1 1/2 inches covering the ground...it was more later.  Halloween trick and treater's had to march through blowing winds and falling snow later that evening. 

As he was getting ready for his ride of the day I snapped a picture off the front porch as he prepares to head over to the Discovery Center for the Halloween Party given by the staff for all to enjoy.  I on the other hand drove my car there!


And yes those are my snow tires for car leaning against the tree on each side of the sidewalk.  I'm awaiting my appointment at Johnson's Tire for my seasonal change over.


1 comment: