Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Friday, December 17, 2010

Pine Cones


Because of their widespread occurrence, conifer cones have been a traditional part of the arts and crafts of cultures where conifers are common. Examples of their use includes seasonal wreaths and decorations, fire starters, bird feeders, toys, etc.
As a child we made the Peanut Butter bird feeders.  I have made my own wreaths.  I have use pine cones as fire starters.  I have use them as Christmas tree ornaments.  For a long time just had a basket full sitting in living room adding a lovely fragrance.

In my yard I have several ancient Pine trees dropping pine cones over the lower third of my yard.  The neighborhood squirrels squabble over these morsels for storage during the summer for their winter feed.
Wiki has a great page for information and photos
of various pine cones species. 

No comments:

Post a Comment