Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fur Rondy 2011

Anchorage’s winter festival ‘Fur Rondy’ had its kick off on Friday!  The festival is a two week event with dozens and dozens of action packed fun for children and adults.  Fur Rondy is the prelude to the great 'Iditarod Race'.

The city closes several main streets downtown for various daily events.  Dog sled racing, Outhouse racing, the carnival, and then throughout Anchorage a wide variety of things are happening.

The Anchorage Senior Center maintains the most activities for all.  Down at the Senior Center you will find the Seniors Annual Art Show, lots of food, tons of different type games and more games.  Snowshoe baseball anyone?

On Saturday I did my best in partaking different activities by dressing in some warm clothes and walking the streets snapping photos.  I lasted about an hour downtown before my hands were frozen, my nose was a running faucet and I think half of my toes fell off on 4th Avenue.

Today I plan on dressing warmer so I can stay out longer and getting more photos!  Right now Anchorage is besieged by bone chilling wind at about 20/30 knots.  

I entered the Fur Rondy Amateur Juried Photography Contest.  Seven favorite photos were entered; one photo for each category of the show.  

This year 516 entries were received for judging.  180 were selected for public viewing.  If you made the cut even this is an honor.  Of my seven; five were included in the public viewing.  Of my five photos - 1 received a 3rd place ribbon for my Flora entry!  I was jazzed in a way you cannot imagine!  It confirms that my photos are wonderful and that I have developed a style of Art that is worthy of the attention I give it.  Confirms to me I am an artist.

                                                               'Thrills & Spills'
                                       b/w with forge filter Fur Rondy Carnival 2/26/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment