Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Dinosaurs, Butterflies and Grant Application

 It’s not easy being me.  Some days I’m happy and some days I’m cranky.  Pretty normal I do believe for a person of my age and temperament.

In the mornings I check my emails, visit my social networks, view my online shops to see if an item sold, and then work for a while on my art my main excitement and a fulfilling job in my otherwise boring life as a semi-retired person.  

If errands need running or visit to grocery store needs to be done that is the afternoon highlight.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been working on a grant application for an Artist Project Award.  The Rasmuson Foundation offers each year three types of grants that various artists may apply to receive.  The first is for $5,000 called a Project Award.  Then a Fellowship Award for $12,000. The third is a Distinguished Artist Award of $25,000. 
 
As that my career is in the beginning stages; I am applying for as an ‘Emerging Artist’.  Not to give away my game plan of what I shall be doing; but I’ll say this if given the award I will taking lots of photos in the central and south central region of Alaska.


I have giant butterflies in my stomach.  They feel like dinosaur eggs.   

I hate to admit but I work myself into a frazzle at times over the simplest of things.  I’m happy to say this is my first application.  May the ones that follow become easier. 

I can only imagine what those applying for the larger grants feel as they turn in their application with their project written out in blood, sweat and tears (well that’s it felt for me while working on the 5 required sections that must be submitted).

This is the first of many steps I have set as goals for my career as a Fine Art Photographer.  I am keeping my toes and fingers crossed in hopes of being selected as a recipient and also acknowledge that the competition is stiff.  Alaska has a wonderful bounty of artists in many disciplines. When I went to the website to see past artist projects and the awards I was in awe of my fellow Alaskan’s. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your application! I’m sure the hard work will pay off in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Charlene for the good wishes! Will know by April who the lucky folks are.

    ReplyDelete