Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

                                                               'Believe in Yourself'

Domestic Violence.
  Happens way too often. 
                Not a pretty thought.

Violence of any type is unforgiving to me in this fishlife I live now.  My little fishlips are going to town on this subject – I have a bit of firsthand knowledge about DV.

Once long ago I lived with a man who had a short temper.  Verbal abuse was the mainstay, kicking or throwing objects came later, and a few times I got to experience the threat & action of bodily harm. 

His being an alcoholic and own abusive youth blurred what were healthy relationship boundaries.  

I got out after realizing my life was more important than anything he could offer in marriage.  I’ve been divorced for over 20 years and I don’t look back at all.  I made the decision that Domestic Violence or violence/abuse of any type was not going to be part of my life and would support anyone else looking to leave an abusive relationship.

I now live with a man who thinks the world of me in a healthy loving manner.  He is my biggest supporter of all that I do and encourages me daily!

Violence does not need to happen.  Folks can live without any type of violence or abuse in their life.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness month.

I have donated two of my photographs for a upcoming auction; plus one Mixed Media artwork for a public show speaking out against Domestic Violence.

A few sites that can help one learn and find help for Domestic Violence:

The Domestic Violence Awareness Project - http://dvam.vawnet.org/

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence - http://www.ncadv.org/

1 comment:

  1. I hope this doesn't post twice.Blog is beautiful.Been there myself-as a child.

    ReplyDelete