Pages

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska - The Last Frontier, United States
Alaska Artist who lives half a year in sunlight and the other half in darkness. Art and humor are life's greatest moments. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Splints and Sprains


On Thursday it was St. Patty’s Day plus Anchorage received a flurry of fresh fluffy snow about 3 to 4 inches.  Being the good woman I am; I said I would do the shoveling.  

Off I went to shovel snow off the sidewalks and driveway.  3/4ths of the way through on the street end of driveway the moment of truth happened.  I slipped on a huge patch of ice from the previous days of warm weather melting and refreezing at night.  The snow covered this 4 foot patch.

I can only hope if a neighbor saw me falling that I scored a perfect 10 on form!

Landing on hand was an experience I don’t wish to do again.  YEOW it hurt.  Picking my shovel like a good girl and limping back up the sidewalk, swallowing my pride I sat for an hour biting my lower lip so I wouldn’t cry until my doctor’s office was back from their ‘office closed for lunch’.  Unfortunately even though they have an x-ray machine they could not fit me in.  So off to the ER I go – I took a book, which turned out to be a life saver!   

The ER was standing room only all day due to many of us foolish folks slipping and sliding and those who arrived by ambulances who happen to be driving too fast for road conditions! 

6 hours later I come home with the news - Severe sprain to hand, contusion to wrist, elbow and shoulder.  Oh did I forget to mention hip feels like a mule kicked it? 

But the very best part of all this: I got a great souvenir - A handy dandy removable splint. 

             Oh baby those knuckles (hehehe what knuckles?) look like you been boxing without any padding!

Plus I get to see an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hand injuries (as per instruction sheet and is typed so all can see ‘only if needed’) since I’m one of those lucky Americans without health insurance we will be skipping this part of instruction sheet – totally out of my ‘only if needed’ area.  One must do with ‘what is affordable’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment